[Zope] MS Access follow-followup

Thomas B. Passin tpassin@mitretek.org
Mon, 23 Jul 2001 09:59:11 -0400

[Bruce Dykes]

> 2> After reading the documentation for some of the Win32 based products, I
> went ahead and installed the latest version of Python for Windows, as it
> seems version 2.1.1 is better suited for interfacing with Windows objects
> than 1.5, and I want to keep options open, such as maybe serving up Visio
> diagrams or the like. Good idea or bad idea? Which will be used? I see
that
> some batch files point to C:\Program Files\website\bin\python.exe while
> scripts executed on their own just call the registered Python interpreter,
> which is 2.1.1. Is this bad?

It could be bad, depending.  You've got several issues:

1) The 2.1.1 interpreter may have a different path stucture, so Zope's
interpreter might not find some modules, etc., that you find when running on
the other interpreter.    You'd have to make sure the Zope's interpreter
uses the same paths.  Not hard, just something to take care of.  You might
have some problems finding occaisional binary libraries.

2) Some things might work on 2.1.1 that don't on ordinary Zope.  Compiled
libraries (.dll, .pyd) that work with one won't work with the other.

Some people have made Zope run using a 2.1 interpreter (usually by changing
the startup batch file to point elsewhere),  but 2.4 will be out soon and it
will do so "officially", why not wait for it?

Cheers,

Tom P