[Zope] FYI: DC -> ZC, plus 2.4 released

Paul Everitt paul@digicool.com
Mon, 23 Jul 2001 12:05:31 -0400

Hello everyone.

As first reported by Andy "Scoop" McKay on ZopeZen, we're changing our
name from Digital Creations to Zope Corporation.  The name change has
the fortunate side effect of letting us be referred to as ZC instead of
DC, which almost sounds the same if you speak with a lisp. :^)

The news is up on LWN, which links to the press release.  LWN also
announced the 2.4 release.

Why are we doing the name change?  Good question, especially since I
used to make the spiel about the company name being separate from the
software name.  In a nutshell, it confused the mess out of everyone.
Briefly stated, Zope needs to appeal better to the crowd that expects
good packaging and clear brands.  We've trial ballooned this with a
number of you over the last couple of months and the need for this is
conclusive.

There's a new site at www.zope.com that reflects the change.  I expected
to tell the Zope list on Friday, but we're still sorting through some
font issues. :^(

Does this harbinger any other major changes?  Not really <wink>. :^)
Seriously, we're looking at a number of things to make Zope
well-positioned and competitive, as well as doing the same for the
things DC/ZC does.

The biggest thing in the coming weeks is, by a mile, opening up the
CVS.  This is the beginning of a series of steps to really work together
with the community and tap into the potential that's been
underutilized.  I'm quite happy with where the direction is going on
this and the likely outcomes.

We'll be at the O'Reilly conference this week, sporting new brochures
and shirts.  We'll be giving away some of our stockpile of deprecated
Zope shirts with DC on the front, so drop by our booth and get some of
these hot collectibles before they're out of issue! :^)

--Paul