[Zope] LARGE FILE SUPPORT

J. Cameron Cooper jccooper@rice.edu
Mon, 23 Jul 2001 17:14:30 -0500

>AFAIK it isn't a python/Zope problem but a filesystem problem.
>I remember to have heard somewhere that Ext2 (the filesystem that Linux
>uses) only support a file size of 2 GB. Perhaps some of the guru's inhere
>can correct me if I am wrong.
>
>The solution to this problem - I think - may be to switch your filesystem
>from Ext2 to ReiserFS.

Ext2 is fine with large files. The problem lies in the virtual memory
system of Linux 2.2 or lesser kernels (by way of the C libraries, I
believe). With a 2.4.x kernel, ext2 can deal with very large files.

But I would suggest going to a journaling filesystem anyway. My favorite
is SGI's XFS. It can be a pain if you don't have tons of empty disk
space, but it's fun to kick over your machine while it's running and get
a fsck in milliseconds.

        --jcc
     (no more fscking)