[Zope] LARGE FILE SUPPORT

marc lindahl marc@bowery.com
Mon, 23 Jul 2001 18:26:14 -0400

>> 1- I'm using Red HAt Linux 6.2 How do I know if it's large-file-capable ?
>>
> I think that large files are only available with Linux 2.4.x kernels,
> which I think rules out RH6.2 unless you've done something special.

RH 6.2 comes out of the box with Ext2 file support, which limits individual
file size to 2GB.... in fact RH7.1 install does the same (though the kernel
can support other file systems).  Check out
http://oss.sgi.com/projects/xfs/1.0_release.html for a really good one, and
easy to use and install.

> The sure-fire test, of course, is to create a > 2Gb file and try to see
> its size. If you don't get an accurate reading, your system doesn't do
> +2Gb files.

Actually, not a sure fire test, since some of the tools for listing file
sizes (especially: GNOME) still choke.  From BASH, you can accurately see
the sizes.