[Zope] LARGE FILE SUPPORT

Bill Anderson bill@libc.org
24 Jul 2001 09:57:35 -0600

On 24 Jul 2001 11:40:53 -0400, marc lindahl wrote:

> > From: Bill Anderson <bill@libc.org>
> >
> > Not True. Once again, (wink) it is the VFS layer, NOT ext2. And
>
> Hmmm.... I didn't notice this option when installing 7.1?  ...doing the
> normal install routine, you partition (or let it do that for you), but I
> don't see any options for what filesystem to use...?

Sorry, I was not clear. The VFS is the filesystem layer in Linux. The
problem is _not_ filesystem specific, it was a problem specifically with
intel 32 bit hardware, runniong on kernels previous to 2.4. There was an
LFS patch (LFS == Large FIle Support), but it was buggy. If you are
running 7.1, your kernel, regardless of filesystem, can deal with large
files. No additional effor trequired.

> > While I love XFS on Linux, You do not need it to get LF support. it is in the
> > 2.4 kernel's newer VFS.
>
> No, you don't need it, but it's the only one I found with a easy to use
> installer...  since I'm not a unix expert that part was important to me!

Actually, the reiserfs installer patch is a helluva lot simpler, since
it is a floppy update to the installer. :)

I still prefer XFS.

Bill