[Zope] ColdFusion - I want to remain a Zopista, please help

Janina Sajka janina@afb.net
Wed, 25 Jul 2001 09:52:50 -0400 (EDT)

Joe:

I'm sure you'll get plenty of technical comparisons based on options. But,
there's also the business case. You don't say what business you're in, so
it's hard to suggest anything along those lines. In particular, if you
build for the U.S. Government, you may have some restrictions on the
graphics folks' dream weaving. Seems the Feds want functionality, not
pizaz.
 On Wed, 25 Jul 2001, Mojo Clark wrote:

> This email I received from the head of our IS dept. explains my situation
> (posted with sender's permission after anonymizing it).

> As you are all well aware there has been a recent surge in the amount of web
> design work that staff has been seeking.  This has brought to light the fact
> that we need to have a standard in web design software.  I am referring to
> design software that takes us beyond the level of what programs like
> Dreamweaver and Front Page can do.  I believe the two options we have here
> are Zope and ColdFusion.
>
> Please put together a list of pros and cons regarding what you would like to
> use to accomplish some of our more intensive web design tasks.  Send your
> lists to me via e-mail by the 26th of July and I will compile them into
> something that we can sit down and work through and come up with a decision
> on what our standard should be.  I have checked to see if [the parent
> company] has a standard and it appears that they do not as they do not have
> a true web design group.
>
> Due to the increasing amount of work, I would like to make a decision on
> this rather quickly so as not to delay the production of any projects.
>
> I've been a Zopista for about a year so I can address the benefits of Zope,
> but I am not knowledgeable regarding ColdFusion. What is driving the
> pro-ColdFusion push is our graphics department whose main web tool is
> Dreamweaver. They don't do dynamic web programming or database integration
> and it took some explaining to move the choice from Zope vs. Dreamweaver to
> Zope vs. ColdFusion.
>
> I am looking for reasons why Zope is a better choice than ColdFusion. Any
> knowledgeable responses greatly appreciated.
>
> I sense that using Zope would be a non-issue if the graphics dept. was
> assured that they wouldn't have to abandon their GUI-based design tools.
> Does anyone have experience collaborating with Zope where the
> non-programming graphics people are sharing the Zope interface? Have you
> been able to find a mutually agreeable arrangement?
>
> There has been plenty of discussion regarding "Zopeweaver" but it sounds
> like integration is limited.
>
> -mojo clark

				Janina Sajka, Director
				Technology Research and Development
				Governmental Relations Group
				American Foundation for the Blind (AFB)

Email: janina@afb.net		Phone: (202) 408-8175

Chair, Accessibility SIG
Open Electronic Book Forum (OEBF)
http://www.openebook.org

Surpassing Gutenberg, at http://www.afb.org/ebook.asp

http://www.afb.org/mlkweb.asp

Learn how to make accessible software at
http://www.afb.org/accessapp.asp