[Zope] Comment on comments in DTML

Joel Burton jburton@scw.org
Wed, 25 Jul 2001 10:04:48 -0400 (EDT)

On Wed, 25 Jul 2001, Toby Dickenson wrote:

> On Wed, 25 Jul 2001 18:51:47 +1000, "Tom Cameron" <tom@mooball.com>
> wrote:
>
> >This is not really a question, but a comment about comments :)
> >
> >I find the <dtml-comment></dtml-comment> syntax for commenting code very
> >cludgy and not conducive to well commented code.
>
> I think one reasonable answer to this is that dtml is not really
> designed for code. If you have logic expressed in dtml that is
> non-trivial enough to benefit from commenting, then dtml is probably
> not the best language to express it in.

Toby & others --

I'm not sure that's as reasonable as we'd like. There are many times where
a moderate amount of logic in DTML is perfectly acceptable. Plus, even
'non-logic' can stand to be documented (ie, why are you including this
piece of information? why are you creating a nested table, etc.)

Here, we tend to use <dtml-comment>, and when that just seems too awful
(too long, too hard to spot among the "real" tags), we use <!--
-->. Something like <//    //> would be great.

--
Joel Burton   <jburton@scw.org>