[Zope] ColdFusion - I want to remain a Zopista, please help

Joel Burton jburton@scw.org
Wed, 25 Jul 2001 13:50:39 -0400 (EDT)

On Wed, 25 Jul 2001, Tommy Johnson wrote:

> I like Zope because it's object oriented. Simply put, it's easier to design
> a site, because you have a framework on which to build. I didn't have that
> with ASP. But, on the other hand, with ColdFusion, you could follow the
> Fusebox standard - which would provide you with a framework on which to
> build. Fusebox is good, but only if you stick to the standard (and we all
> know about developers sticking to the standard!) However, Fusebox isn't
> completely object oriented; I have to hand it to them - it tried hard, but
> is in no way a match for the power of Zope.

Some light standardization can be a Very Good Thing, though.

Consider: due to the CMF, in 6 months, most new Zope sites will use
properties "description", "subject", "expiration_date", and so on for
objects, and ProductDesigners can build products that rely on this.

At our Center, objects have properties like "nickname" (how it appears in
the breadcrumb list), "expiration_date" (when it is flagged as expired),
and others.

I think it would be a very positive thing if ZC, or someone else,
recommended some general standards for new sites. One wouldn't have to
follow them, but it one be to your benefit in many cases.

--
Joel Burton   <jburton@scw.org>