[Zope] Yay! My first paying Zope job! (HELP!)

Joel Burton jburton@scw.org
Sat, 28 Jul 2001 00:46:29 -0400 (EDT)

On Fri, 27 Jul 2001, Eric Walstad wrote:

> Thanks for the reply, Joel...

You're welcome.

> Do I have to use virtual hosts when using Apache/SSL/Zope?  It's probably a
> good idea in the long run, in case they need to run more than one site from
> this machine, but is it required?

Well, if you're using Apache + Zope, you need *some* kind of solution
(URL rewriting, Proxying, or just PCGI). The first two of these use Zope
doing the same kind of tricks as it would for a "real" virtual host
(rewriting absolute_url, etc.)

In addition, w/SSL, you'll need to answer whether you want the link:

  http://foo/hello

to mean the same page as

  https://foo/hello   (https)

Often, you won't want the entire site available as https (wasted CPU
resources); only certain parts will be rewritten/proxied to https. The
setup for this is similar to how one handles a "real" virtual host.

hth,
--
Joel Burton   <jburton@scw.org>