[Zope] Re: FTP automangling file extension: semi-working proof-of-concept

Hamish Lawson hamish_lawson@yahoo.co.uk
Sun, 29 Jul 2001 01:42:19 +0100 (BST)

Joel Burton wrote:

> Yesterday, I suggested that it might be helpful for FTP & WebDAV to
> return a pseudo-extension for the type of file being read so that
non-
> Zope-saavy programs could more effectively work with Zope files.
> (Some programs, notably Dreamweaver and GoLive, refuse to work
> w/files w/o extensions.) When the file is later uploaded via
> FTP/WebDAV, the extension would be removed.

[snip]

> Is this a fair idea? I doubt the fine folks at ZopeCorp will rush my
> three-line patch into the core ;-), but I'd would like to get the
> sense if I'm heading in a sane direction.

Definitely! I floated this very idea a few weeks ago, so I'm glad to
see someone having a go at it. Eventually a mechanism will be needed to
associate file extensions with metatypes; a couple of options spring to
mind: each Product could be expected to specify its extension as it
does for its icon and metatype; or else there could be a
extension-mapper product that allowed for TTW configuration.

Hamish Lawson