[Zope] Huh? Undefined symbol "ERR_load_RSAREF_strings"

Tosh Cooey tosh@c4.ca
Sun, 29 Jul 2001 18:56:33 +0200

I'm trying to install Zope for the first time and have come upon a
little problem.  I initially tried building and installing from source,
but ran into a problem when trying to 'start' Zope.

I am using PCGI and so after building my virtual host file as I found
from the documentation and hitting the 'manage' page I got the
"Temporarily Unavailable" message.  A little RTFM later and it seems
this happens if there are problems starting Zope, so I check to see if
it even runs with the 'start' command, here's what I get:

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/local/www/Zope/z2.py", line 542, in ?
    import ZServer
  File "/usr/local/www/Zope/ZServer/__init__.py", line 87, in ?
    from medusa import max_sockets, asyncore
  File "/usr/local/www/Zope/ZServer/medusa/max_sockets.py", line 2, in ?
    import socket
  File "/usr/local/lib/python2.1/socket.py", line 41, in ?
    from _socket import *
ImportError: /usr/local/lib/libcrypto.so.1: Undefined symbol
"ERR_load_RSAREF_strings"

I'm running FreeBSD 3.4 and specifying the port 8880 with -w8880 in the
'start' file because there is a Shoutcast server running on 8080

After searching the net and mail archives for a solution to this I
decide to try the 'ports' collection of Zope from FreeBSD.org since some
mail list messages suggest this can fix most Zope issues WRT FreeBSD.

Some downloading and modifying later (-w8880) I hit the 'manage'
function again, but this time I don't get the "Temporarily Unavailable"
error, I get a webserver error, and the web error log file says:

Premature end of script headers: /usr/local/www/cgi-bin.default/Zope.cgi

So I try to see if the Zope process will even run, and again I get the
same error:

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/local/www/Zope/z2.py", line 542, in ?
    import ZServer
  File "/usr/local/www/Zope/ZServer/__init__.py", line 87, in ?
    from medusa import max_sockets, asyncore
  File "/usr/local/www/Zope/ZServer/medusa/max_sockets.py", line 2, in ?
    import socket
  File "/usr/local/lib/python2.1/socket.py", line 41, in ?
    from _socket import *
ImportError: /usr/local/lib/libcrypto.so.1: Undefined symbol
"ERR_load_RSAREF_strings"

So now I am thoroughly confused.  It's certainly not an issue of ports
vs. source.

There's nothing about libcrypto.so.1 in the mail archives, nor Google
(in the context of Zope) and so I have no idea how to solve this, can
anyone share any insight?

Thanks!!!

Tosh