[Zope] FTP automangling file extension: semi-working proof-of-concept

Joel Burton jburton@scw.org
Mon, 30 Jul 2001 21:44:55 -0400 (EDT)

On Mon, 30 Jul 2001, Jean Jordaan wrote:

> I've also toyed with ideas related to this, though I
> wasn't looking at the file extension -- since my editor
> is Vim, not DreamWeaver. (When I have to work with
> designers who use DW, I just use ids that end in '.htm'.)

Jean --

The connection w/Flare is interesting. I'm going to try
learn more about this and post some thought soon.

As a general point, you certainly can name objects '_.htm';
however, this is so anti-Zope in my mind. Often, a web page
will start as a single DTML document, such as "prices"

 /site/     Folder
    prices  DTMLDoc

but within a few months, I might have several supporting
ZSQL methods that find prices, display prices, etc.

What usually happens is that I'll turn prices into a folder
and make its index_html the old "prices", as such:

 /site/           Folder
    prices/       Folder
      index_html  DTMLDoc
      get_prices  ZSQL

I could change all my links from "/site/prices.htm" to
"/site/prices/index.htm", but this can be a pain, and there's
a lapse until search engines and bookmarks catch  up.
Having a folder named "prices.htm" seems like a bad idea.

In my mind, naming a zope object w/o an extension is the best idea. It's
just difficult to edit.

--
Joel Burton   <jburton@scw.org>