[Zope] Connecting a Zope-Server to a MySQL-Server

Andy Dustman andy@dustman.net
Thu, 31 May 2001 20:27:08 -0400 (EDT)

On Tue, 29 May 2001, Horst Wald wrote:

> Hi!
>
> I'm trying to get a Zope-Server to work with a remote MySQL-Server (both
> Suse-Linux, but I could use Windows2000 as a Zope Server if necessary) - and
> that seems to be a hell of a problem. Until now everything went fairly easy,
> but now I seem to have to:
>
> - install Python 1.5 or greater first (how do I do that?)

You almost certainly have it already. If you are using a pre-compiled Zope
package, it has Python 1.5.2 packaged with it. Most Linux distributions
come with at least Python 1.5.2. SuSE might have 2.0. Try running python
from a shell and see what happens...

> - ensure that I have MySQL installed on your machine, INCLUDING THE
>   FILES AND LIBRARIES NECESSARY TO DEVELOP MySQL APPLICATIONS (but I
>   don't know what these F&L's are and I need the MySQL-Server on a
>   remote machine)
> - build Zope from source
> - download and install MySQLdb, a newer driver to MySQL than the one
>   that comes with ZMySQLDA
> - patch ZMySQLDA: copy ZMySQLDA.patch to the top-level zope dir and then
>   patch -p1 <ZMySQLDA.patch it (what does that mean?)
>
> Isn't there an easier way?

That infomation is somewhat out of date and I think only applies to
ZMySQLDA-1.1.x. For a precompiled package (linux-i386), see:

http://www.zope.org/Members/adustman

Also see:

http://prdownloads.sourceforge.net/mysql-python/ZMySQLDA-2.0.7b2.linux-i386.tar.gz
and http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=22307

If you have to compile MySQLdb yourself anyway, read README. You'll need a
working C compiler (gcc), distutils (get from www.python.org for versions
of Python older than 1.6), and MySQL libraries and include files (it looks
like for SuSE, you need the package mysqldev).

--
Andy Dustman         PGP: 0xC72F3F1D
    @       .net     http://dustman.net/andy