[Zope] Netscape Problems

Chris Withers chrisw@nipltd.com
Fri, 1 Jun 2001 09:03:34 +0100

> I am quite sure that all these problems are client-side or
non-Zope-specific
> HTML issues, just because I can't imagine how Zope should "know" about the
> Netscape browser.

Generally I'd agree, which is why I'm only asking. There was a similar issue
with modified headers and images with Netscape a while back where Zope
wasn't doing the same thing as Apache. That eventually got changed (no more
broken images in Netscape ;-) and I'm just checking out this isn't another
one of those ;-)

> I know about the tables issue. This is a well-known Netscape problem. It
> just has a very bad table geometry engine. As soon as it gets too many
> nested tables, it freezes almost.

Yup, although my personal view is that if you're using that many tables, you
deserve what you get ;-)

> The stylesheet problems are also well-known. If Netscape can't find the
> specified stylesheet, it loops.

This is irritating but can be worked around by inlining the stylesheet like
the CMF does...

> I never saw the other cases on Netscape for Linux. They might therefore be
> platform-specific problem I don't know of.

Maybe, I'm just trying to collect data :-)

> Let's face it: Netscape 4.x is a lousy browser compared with almost
anything
> else on the market. It is the only browser in our test suite that can not
> display style sheets with Javasrcipt disabled. And even if it displays
> styles, it is not standards-compliant with that ...

So do I say to our clients: All your users must have IE installed because
Zope doesn't like Netscape. Oh, and make sure you don't have these versions
of IE because Zope doesn't like them either... ;-)

Browsers are buggy, all software is, it's just treading that fine line
between saying 'your broswer is crap, it's not our problem' and 'your
browser has issues, but we've managed to deal with them'. I know which one
of those messages I'd prefer to give to customers...

cheers,

Chris