[Zope] Indexing and plaintext display gives PDF errors

Leigh Ann Hildebrand leighann@onebox.com
Mon, 04 Jun 2001 14:19:08 -0700

I'm using Zope 2.3.2 with Python 1.5.2 running on Redhat. I don't use
Python, I work in DTML. I'm cataloging technical documents. I do not
use Document Library or the CMF, in part because of compatibility restrictions.
(The site must support NetPositive, a non-javascript, non-CSS compatible
browser.) The documents I'm indexing are html, text, Word, PowerPoint,
and PDF files.

I have the CMF and the Document Library product installed; I also had
installed wvWare, though I'm not sure I installed it correctly. (The
instructions were vague.)

This is my problem. When I update my Catalog, I get a number of errors
on the linux box that runs my Zope installation, related to PDF files:

Error (0): PDF file is damaged - attempting to construct xref table ...
Error: Top level pages is wrong type (null)
Error: Couldn't read page catalog
Error: Couldn't find trailer dictionary
Error: Couldn't read xref table

These repeat a few times, giving me two screens worth, before the index
updating is complete. I can think of at least one problem that might
be going on here: I think some PDF documents were added as type "DocumentFile",
which is related to the DocumentLibrary stuff.

Anyway, I'm trying to get rid of the errors, and be able to index the
text of PDF and Word files. Suggestions? I'm forwarding this to the DocumentLibrary
product engineer, too.

Leigh Ann

--
Leigh Ann Hildebrand