[Zope] data storage

Chris McDonough chrism@digicool.com
Tue, 05 Jun 2001 14:21:22 -0400

jacob walcik wrote:

> some of my concerns, such as, if we have 2GB of data we need to stick in
> the DB, and the ZODB always stays loaded in memory, what kinds of problems
> may arise (i envision terrible swapping problems)?  is it even reasonable
> to expect the ZODB to hold that much data?

All the bytes that make up user data in the ZODB aren't resident in RAM
at the same time.  It would be a pretty lame database if that were true.
;-)  Instead, only the most recently accessed objects are resident in
RAM, although there is no way to establish a hard-and-fast limit on the
amount of RAM that you want ZODB to consume in total (although this is
true with almost any database).

> the appeal of using ZODB is that we can use all of the features of zope.
> projects like berkelystorage seem to be a step towards a middle-ground
> style solution, but it doesn't look like they've reached a very stable
> release yet.

BerkeleyStorage is in beta I think... although if you're just starting
out with Zope, and you don't need any of the fancy stuff that
BerkeleyStorage has to offer, I would suggest sticking with FileStorage.