[Zope] More ZSyncer stuff

Tim Cook tim@freepm.org
Fri, 08 Jun 2001 11:01:08 -0500

Andy wrote:

> No thats fine, glad its being used.

I have 'big' plans for it also. <s>
The problem right now is time of course.  Thankfully Paul is
helping get the kinks out. :-)

> > 4) Sometimes in root, a folder will be green, but you know there are
> > contents that are not. Go into that folder and you have some items that
> are
> > yellow.
>
> Yes folders again. If you change an object in folder, the object becomes out
> of date. However since you have not changed the folder, it is still green.
> Now if you rename, add, delete, copy, cut into / out of that folder (ie
> change the number of objects) the folder has changed. Hence the folder is
> now out of date.

Could you not mark an objects container out of date when the
object is out of date?
Thousands of object would probably create a lot of wasted
overhead so you could set a falg if the container was already
marked?

> The problem is we are comparing date / times on objects and sometimes they
> just appear to be plain wrong. Especially if you are syncing to a box in a
> different time zone! What is needed is something me and Gregor are talking
> about, a version number on each object, similar to CVS. By comparing the
> number of a version, we eliminate this problem.

This sounds like a much better solution. Can you do this with
DTML Methods, Python Scripts ...?

--
Tim Cook, President - FreePM,Inc.
http://www.FreePM.com Office: (731) 884-4126