[Zope] getting index_html instead of manage_main in some browsers

Jens Vagelpohl jens@digicool.com
Tue, 26 Jun 2001 11:31:50 +0200

jim,

this is actually related.

the problem of getting index_html instead of manage_main should not happen
in the case of cookie-based authentication, only using simple auth.

the root of the problem is that some browsers will only send
authentication info if they get explicitly asked for it and some will send
it just because they have the information for the specific host. if it
gets sent automatically zope will give you manage_main. if the browser
does not send the information all by itself zope will not challenge it
explicitly, it will simply send anything you're allowed to view without
any auth info, meaning as anonymous. index_html is available for anonymous
users.

cookies on the other hand are always sent back to the server if they
contain the same server name and path as the requested page.
authentication cookies are not handled differently, to the browser they
look like any other cookie.

since, as you said, you still had the authentication cookie set it was
sent along and was accepted as authentication, so you got manage_main.

jens