[Zope] Is Zope.org DOWN?

Joachim Werner joe@iuveno-net.de
Thu, 28 Jun 2001 16:50:44 +0200

> Wouldn't this be a nice showcase for the technologies around ZEO ? I guess
> the technologies necessary for a real distributed server network are 'not
> yet there', but (I am not able to browse the fishbowl pages ;-) I think
> fishbowl proposals are talking about these kinds of things.

I think it would be more or less trivial (apart from setting up the
necessary SSL tunnel for the ZEO connection) to have another front-end
server here in Europe or elsewhere. This server would normally be in sync
with the U.S., and if it used another domain/nameserver, it would also be
safe from things like the OSDN router debacle last week.

If the main ZEO server went down, our mirror would just have to go into
"read-only" mode (to make this work, the cache would have to be filled with
the complete data set of the server, not just the frequently requested
stuff, from time to time, and the timeout would have to be set to "very
long"). It could even store changes in a queue and transfer them back to the
main server if the connection re-establishes. Both is not too difficult to
accomplish as far as I know.

Any feedback from the ZEO gurus at DC?

Joachim