[Zope] Searching phrases flakey in Zope?

Simon Blandford home@simonb.org.uk
Sat, 30 Jun 2001 16:31:56 +0100

I noticed that searching for phrases i.e. "search strings in quotes"
with Products which use ZCatalog seems to produce undesired results.

Two words in quotes is fine,
Three words seems to yield spurious matches as if it is matching any of
the words *in* the quotes,
More than three words in quotes doesn't match anything even though the
phrase is definitely in the documents being searched.

Mixing words, boolean an quotes is a complete disaster and I have no
idea what it is or isn't matching e.g.
fred and andy not bob and "over the hill and beyond"

Interestingly, if I use the search box on the Zope site itself phrases
work fine as long as they are in *single* quotes. This doesn't work on
my own Zope installation however. Also booleans seem to need to be in
capitals i.e. AND and NOT.

Has anyone else experienced this?
Is it behaving normally but I just don't understand it?
Why is the Zope site itself different?

Why I am being so pedantic? Well I have a Document Library which can not
be split easily into topics so it relies very heavily on text searches.
For it to work these searches need to be quite specific, like you can do
on Google or Altavista. I often mix boolean, words and phrases when
using internet search engines and can narrow things down quite well that
way.

Regards,
Simon B.