[Zope] can't login to Zope!

Curtis Maloney curtis@cardgate.net
Fri, 2 Mar 2001 10:15:56 +1100

On Fri,  2 Mar 2001 01:59, Stuart Quimby wrote:
> A newbie problem here.  I can't seem to login to Zope no matter what I try.
>
> - I've installed Zope 2.3.0-1 and ZServer 2.3.0-1 from rpm's accessible
> from the Zope.org site on a RH 7.0 machine. - I run /etc/rc.d/init.d/zope
> start and it starts fine.

Personally, I never install Zope from a package.  I use the source install.
So long as you have Python and python-devel RPMs installed, it's just a
matter of untaring the tarball, cd into the directory, and type "python
wo_pcgi.py".

That's it.  It will churn away for a couple of minutes (depends on your
computers speed) and then present you with a username/password, and some
simple instructions (like "run start" ).

> - I open Mozilla to :8080 and the Zope start screen displays.
> - Tried pointing the browser to :8080/manage and it asks for
> username/passwd. - I supply admin and 123 and no go. No error message just
> keeps asking for the password again. - Cruise the docs and mail list
> archives.

Where did you get this name/password from?

> - Run python zpasswd.py inituser and reset the password.  (This was
> suggested on the mail lists - I couldn't find it in the docs.) - Verify
> that the inituser file was changed.
> - Close all browser windows.
> - Run /etc/rc.d/init.d/zope restart.
> - Open browser and try to log in again.
> - Same response.
> - Try running python zpasswd.py access.
> - Close browsers/restart zope/open browsers - same response - no error
> messages - just doesn't like the usernames and passwords I'm providing. -
> Thought maybe it was a 'Mozilla thang'.  Tried Netscape.  Same response.

You should have tried stopping zope, then updating the password file, then
starting zope.  Just in case.

> This is pathetic.  I've got 6-7 hours into this just trying to get the
> management interface up!!!
>
> Can anyone point me to how to get this thing running?
>
> A very frustrated Stuart Quimby.

Have a better one,
	Curtis Maloney