[ZOPE] Newbie question with POPMail

David Shaw david.shaw@zapmedia.com
Fri, 02 Mar 2001 11:43:24 -0500

Adrian Madrid wrote:

> You say that it needs some work before going into
> production. What is it that it needs exactly? I tried
> it a while ago and it worked OK but it wasn't as
> pretty as you might want it. If that's it I can
> probably help.]

Well, here are some things that it could support but does not:

1) support for MIME-encoded messages, possibly attachments
2) better support for HTML-encoded messages
3) associating several POP accounts with a single acl_user
4) allowing (configurably) users to create objects without management
access
5) better UI (as you mentioned) with more features
6) address book
7) support for replying, CC'ing, BCC'ing, etc.

The last two releases made performance pretty good through some caching
mechanisms, and fixed most of the incompatibilities with non-compliant
POP servers and aggressive browser caching.  The things above are what I
think we would need to add to make this product a realistic competitor
to some of the other open-source tools on the market in this arena.

Look at mail.yahoo.com.  That is what I would like it to be comparable
to.

I originally developed this as a proof-of-concept, but it worked well
enough that I improved on it some.  I should probably revisit it again
if I have time, but if anyone else wants to make contributions, please
do so!  That's what's so great about open-source...

  - David