[Zope] How I find my local host address?

Flynt rhess@bic.ch
Sat, 03 Mar 2001 18:33:53 +0100

Jonathan Despr=E9s wrote:
> =

> Hi,
> =

> How/Where I can find my local host address? I don't see it in my Python=

> start screen, with ms-dos. I'm using windows.
> =

> http://localhost:8080/manage
> =

> --Jon

1.) localhost should have ** always ** the IP address 127.0.0.1
In Windows put a line into your hosts file (which you will find in the
"windows" folder) like:
127.0.0.1    localhost
Be carefully when editing this file: Use notepad. Check after saving,
that your file is named "hosts" and not hosts.txt !
You have to make this entry there otherwise the "localhost" in your URL
is not translated into the IP address.

2.) If you have a connection open to your ISP, you will have attached an
IP address from your ISP. This ip address is always changing with every
new dial-up connection. If you made the above entry, you can still use
"localhost" in your URL. If you want someone from outside to connect to
your machine however, you have to use the name, which mapped by your ISP
to the IP address he had leased to you. If you know the actual IP
address (see 3.)) then you can get the associated name by typing in a
DOS windows: nslookup <YOUR_ACTUAL_IPADDRESS>

3.) On Windows (DOS) type in a MSDOS windows: winipcfg /ALL
This will give you all the actual info.
On NT you get the same with the command: ipconfig

Hope this will help.

Flynt