[Zope] RE: ZODBC problem (was: Preventing WebDAV locks)

Capesius, Alan CapesiusA@Sysmex.com
Sun, 4 Mar 2001 11:20:13 -0600

Thanks Jeffrey,
Where are these WebDAV.resource.lock() permissions?
I am running both 2.2 and 2.3 Zope and cannot find this anywhere.

The locks seem to be coincidental to the problem, with further testing I
have determined that the Zope server itself is not locking up, but rather
requests to the database (MS SQL7 via ZODBCDA) seem to be queueing up.

I have several long running report queries that were recently added to the
server. They do totalling within DTML to provide accounting reports. If two
clients request these reports at the same time, all other SQL based access
is halted until one of the queries finishes.

Any query is unresponsive while the server is processing these long running
queries (30 secs +). Even very short queries will not respond until the
client processing the long queries frees up.

I've tried increasing ZODB pool_size, but this does not help.
The SQL Client is set up for TCP/IP connection to the SQL server on another
box.
Is there a limitation here. A fix?

Or perhaps another way to connect to the SQL server than ZODBCDA?

In addition, I've loaded two instances of Zope on the same server running
identical configurations. One instance will stop the other instance from
accessing the database. This leads me to believe it may be a bottleneck in
the SQL ODBC driver.

Alan Capesius
Technical Support Engineer
Sysmex Corp of America