[Zope] FrontPage Extensions incompatible with Zope?

Dieter Maurer dieter@handshake.de
Tue, 6 Mar 2001 21:03:25 +0100 (CET)

Fred Yankowski writes:
 > There are at least three categories of trouble using FrontPage with
 > Zope, that I know of:
 >
 > 1) FrontPage generates files and folders whose names start with "_",
 >    thereby breaking a cardinal Zope naming rule and causing those
 >    files and folders to be inaccessible (if done via LocalFS) or
 >    outright impossible (in Zope proper/ZODB).
That is Zope specific.
Other HTTP servers will not mind names beginning with '_'.

 > 2) FrontPage uses custom HTTP-based RPCs to do file upload and
 >    administration.  I know next to nothing about this, but I'm pretty
 >    sure that Zope does not support this extended HTTP protocol
 >    directly.  Seems like it could though.
Hugh, what is that "custom HTTP-based RPCs"? Never heard about this!
Why does "FrontPage" not simply use "PUT"?

 > 3) FrontPage uses its own library of server-based features, such as
 >    for counters.
Seems, it wants only work together with IIS?

Dieter