[Zope] Re: Zope digest, Vol 1 #1246 - 50 msgs -- Connecting M S Access to Zope by ZODBC

Farrell, Troy troy.farrell@wilcom.com
Tue, 13 Mar 2001 11:59:34 -0600

Have you set up your Access Database as a System DSN?
Time for a mini-HOWTO:
Jfarr knows that I did this a lot when I first started with zope.
I kept bugging him for help :)

I'm on WinNT4 SP6a:
First, select Data Sources (ODBC) from the Control Panel.
We want to add a System DSN.  After selecting Add under the System DSN tab,
we get a lovely 'Create New Data Source' dialog.  Highlight Microsoft Access
Driver (*.mdb) and select Finish.
This brings up yet another dialog box asking questions: ODBC Microsoft
Access Setup.
Fill in the blanks:
Data Source Name: Think of this like a zope id.  I used something like
bmsprofdb for the 'Business Media Services Profiles Database'.

The group of buttons labeled Database is for selection of an existing
database, creation of a new one, repair and compaction of an existing
database.  For more information on these, see MS Access Help.

For most setups, you won't want to select a System Database, and I don't
know much about it, so you are on your own there.

If you click options, you will see an additional group of settings.  You may
have to tweak these if you have heavy traffic, but if you have heavy
traffic, you probably need a different database :)

Clicking Advanced gives you the power to set more advanced options, like
usernames, passwords, and working directories.  This is also Access specific
stuff.

After you have setup this, go to Zope and select add a new ZODBC adapter.
You will see the system DSN you have added.  Highlight and add.  The world
is your oyster.

Troy