[Zope] XML Doc and speed

Chris Gray cpgray@library.uwaterloo.ca
Wed, 14 Mar 2001 13:42:25 -0500 (EST)

I've been playing around with the XML Document Product again and I've run
into a limitation that I have run into before: large XML documents process
slowly.  Getting data out of an XML Document is much slower than fetching
data from an external relational DB.

The trouble is that I have a large number of records that are
hierarchically structured.  Getting the data into XML is a lot easier than
using SQL where the structure of each record demands that each record get
spread out over a dozen or so tables.

I'm doing this in one large XML file with the children of the root element
each representing a record.  Would I gain any speed by giving each record
a separate XML Document?

Thanks,
Chris