[Zope] where zope should be installed

Jerome Alet alet@unice.fr
Thu, 15 Mar 2001 09:14:16 +0100 (MET)

On Thu, 15 Mar 2001, jacintha menezes wrote:

>       Let me kindly know whether we have to install Zope at the root
> directory of the Linex machine. B'coz When we tried to install zope at the
> directory 'root/home/pgmtool' Zope got installed but when the ./start was
> run it gave the error as 'z2.py permission denied'.
> what may be the problem ?. Do we need to install zope at the root directory
> only  ?.
> Please throw some light.

It seems you misunderstand what "root directory" means under Unix systems.

"root directory" means / , the root of the filesystem.

"root's directory" means the home directory of the user named root (with
userid 0). Some times it is set to / but under GNU/Linux it is set to
/root/

"root's directory" is usually only readable by the root user, but Zope
runs as the nobody user, this explains your permissions problem.

hoping this helps.

Jerome Alet - alet@unice.fr - http://cortex.unice.fr/~jerome
Fac de Medecine de Nice        http://wwwmed.unice.fr
Tel: (+33) 4 93 37 76 30     Fax: (+33) 4 93 53 15 15
28 Avenue de Valombrose - 06107 NICE Cedex 2 - FRANCE