[Zope] Zope security management

Phil Harris phil.harris@zope.co.uk
Tue, 20 Mar 2001 22:51:40 -0000

Karl,

At no point in this discussion did I assert that it was Zopes job to supply
a SSL implementation or become a CA.  I totally agree that this is better
handled by a layer in front of Zope.

Yeah, I know you can sign your own certificates, but for some environments
(e.g. eCommerce) surely you can agree that having VeriSign or Thawte vouch
for your certificate would inspire more confidence than one signed by Phil
Harris, web-odd-job-man.

I myself also use self-signed certificates but only for testing sites.  My
employers take offence (in aesthetic terms) to the silly messages that
Netscape/Mozilla/IE (moz in particular) show users when the certificate is
self-signed.  We have a captive audience (academic) to a certain degree, so
can get away with it, others are not so fortunate.

Now onto something related but not strictly on topic.

There are also other ways to put a SSL frontend to Zope than to use Apache,
take a look at http://www.stunnel.org or http://www.delegate.org for
instance.

I use them with some success to put SSL fronts to all sorts of things
including HTTP, LDAP, POP3,NNTP etc. and also use them in client mode to
connect non-SSL clients to SSL-enabled servers.

Anyway enough rambling.

See ya

Phil