[Zope] tino's <dtml-in> improvements Why, DC?

Brian Lloyd brian@digicool.com
Thu, 22 Mar 2001 11:48:22 -0500

> In the last year I have seen many people complaining about this with DC
> doing anything about it.
> Makes you think!

That's not quite true - there have been several discussions of
this in the past, and we have not ignored it. There were (and
still are - more below) concerns about namespace pollution and
stomping on variables that people may have currently defined
in applications. Some alternatives have been proposed, though
so far none have been implemented:

http://www.zope.org/Members/4am/DTMLWiki/NamedDTMLInLoop

http://dev.zope.org/Wikis/DevSite/Proposals/DTMLExpressionSyntax

> DC are pretty skilled py-engineers. If they don't want to use
> sequence-item,
> then with what reason??
> So, DC, people what's so cool about sequence-item that you can't get with
> sequence_item?? What's the underlying reasoning here?

Largely a concern that the DTML namespace is too much like the
wild west already, and that the changed names could break apps
that have already defined "sequence_item" or similar names,
either for their own simplification or for totally other purposes.

That said, I think that this has come up enough recently, clearly
has support, and provides enough of a simplification win that it
should go on the plan for Zope 2.4.

For those wondering "why not 2.3.1?", 2.3.1 is a bug-fix release,
and this will be a feature with a non-trivial documentation impact.
For more info see the Zope release policy:

http://dev.zope.org/Resources/ZopeReleasePolicy.html

Putting it in the next feature release will allow us to make sure
the documentation is updated accordingly, and give people who may
be stepped on by the namespace change a chance to assess their apps
before upgrading.

People who need the change "Right Now" can continue to use the patch -
in fact I'd encourage people to so we can shake out any problems. We
should also make a project area on dev.zope.org so that we can have
a common area to plan what still needs to be done (it sounds like the
patch is close, but not 100%) and what collateral activities need to
be done (what documentation artifacts need to be updated, etc.)

The 2.4 release will be largely about getting Zope on Python 2.1 and
I am intentionally keeping the 2.4 plan relatively small so that we
can get it out in Q2. I've added the DTML namespace changes to the
plan at:

http://dev.zope.org/Resources/zope_240_plan.html

I'll need one person to volunteer to be the point man on this, to
coordinate with me on integration and keep the project area up
to date.

Brian Lloyd        brian@digicool.com
Software Engineer  540.371.6909
Digital Creations  www.digicool.com