[Zope] PHP as a scripting language for Zope

Luciano Ramalho luciano@hiper.com.br
Tue, 27 Mar 2001 17:16:40 -0300

Bill Anderson wrote:
> > And while we are at it, why not evaluate the possibility of integrating
> > JavaScript and VBscript?
>
> Because those are CLIENT-side, not server side.
> Because many of us have browsers that do not use that atrocity known as
> vbscript, and javascript tends to be rather difficult/time consuming to
> write in a cross-platform way.

I am afraid you are mistaken. JavaScript and VBscript are both used
extensively as server side scripting languages. MS ASP and Netscape
Livewire both use JavaScript (aka. JScript and ECMAscript) on the
server. And most ASP programming is done in VBscript. Of course, they
are also client-side scripting languages, but this fact is irrelevant to
our discussion.

> We have enough to work on already without adding that stuff.

I agree there are other priorities. But PerlScripts were done anyway,
and from a marketing perspective, I believe PHPScripts and
JavaScriptScripts would be more effective.

Of course, PerlScripts were made possible by the contribution of
ActiveState, a company uniquely qualified to do the necessary
Perl-Python integration.

But as Chris McDonough of DC just pointed out to me, there are already a
few people in the Zope community working towards supporting PHP in Zope:

http://www.zope.org/Members/Mamey/PHP
http://www.zope.org/Members/Ioan/PHPObject
http://www.zope.org/Members/billw/morePHP

Best regards,