[Zope] LOCK/UNLOCK

Fernstrom, Christer Christer.Fernstrom@xrce.xerox.com
Wed, 28 Mar 2001 18:54:56 +0200

Looking through the mail archives I realise that I'm not the only person who has questions about locking in ZOPE. I know that you can use versions, and as long as every concurrent user does updates in a separate version, locks are set, visible to all, and prevents accidental overwrites. Problem is that users who are just content providers (not programmers) have to explicitly enter versions, then commit changes they've done in the versions. This is far from ideal.

I haven't found parts of the ZOPE API that deals with handling versions, but I was playing with the idea to provide a "modify" button on the pages that would:
 - create a personal version for the user (unless one is already there)
 - start using the version
 - go to the manage_main for the page to allow updates
 - upon SAVE (hm, how do I catch this?), commit the version changes (ie do version "save")
 - redisplay the rendered page

Looks simple on the paper. Has anybody done something like this? Would it work?