[Zope] Compiling on Mac OS X

Steven D. Majewski sdm7g@virginia.edu
Wed, 28 Mar 2001 13:11:47 -0500 (EST)

On Wed, 28 Mar 2001, Gregg Hartling wrote:

> Somehow, some way, Zope is running on my OS X box. I don't think I did it
> right, but it magically worked. What I did was to *not* make any changes to
> the inst/do.py script as mentioned in the HOW-TO. I just left the file the
> way it was, and Zope compiled.

> Again, I'll disclaim that I'm a newbie and don't understand the
> repercussions of *not* including the do('makeOPT="-traditional-cpp""') as
> specified in the docs. All I know is that it's pretty cool to see Zope
> running on Mac OS X. :-)

I haven't verified this myself, but what I was told was that the need
to use -traditional-cpp was classified as a bug in the PublicBeta and
the defaults were going to be changed in the final release. So I would
expect that the switch is no longer required.

If you're curious about the meaning of that magic option:
 Project Builder uses precompiled headers which use a special
precompiler (which seems to have problems with some stmts) so the
default was set to NOT use the "traditional cpp" . I think they
got enough questions and complaints about this that they decided
to make cc behave normally and let PB set its own defaults.

-- Steve Majewski <sdm7g@Virginia.EDU>