[Zope] help! corrupted zope

Tres Seaver tseaver@digicool.com
Mon, 30 Apr 2001 21:30:57 -0400

Garry Hodgson <garry@sage.att.com> wrote:

> i got mail from a colleague today that he was having trouble with a
> ZWiki page.  attempts to access it yielded:
>
>  Zope Error
>
>  Zope has encountered an error while publishing this resource.
>
>  Debugging Notice
>
>  Zope has encountered a problem publishing your object.
>
>  Missing doc string at:
>        http://www.sage.att.com:8080/Wikis/SIS/JSwift
>  Traceback (innermost last):
>           File
> /home/sage/zope/src/Zope-2.3.0-src/lib/python/ZPublisher/Publish.py,
> line 222, in publish_module
>           File
> /home/sage/zope/src/Zope-2.3.0-src/lib/python/ZPublisher/Publish.py,
> line 187, in publish
>           File /home/sage/zope/src/Zope-2.3.0-src/lib/python/Zope/__init__.py,
> line 221, in  zpublisher_exception_hook
>                     (Object: Traversable)
>           File
> /home/sage/zope/src/Zope-2.3.0-src/lib/python/ZPublisher/Publish.py,
> line 162, in publish
>           File
> /home/sage/zope/src/Zope-2.3.0-src/lib/python/ZPublisher/BaseRequest.py,
> line 378, in traverse
>           File
> /home/sage/zope/src/Zope-2.3.0-src/lib/python/ZPublisher/HTTPResponse.py,
> line 558, in debugError
>         NotFound: (see above)

Hmm, "Missing doc string" says you are trying to talk to what should
be an unpublishable method.  Is 'SIS/JSwift' likely to be the name
of a wiki page?  Have you perhaps upgraded Zope recently?  Also, what
version of the ZWiki product are you using?

> So, it appears i've got a corrupted Zope.  aside from rescuing
> a Data.fs from backup, how does one go about fixing such a
> problem?  or is there no hope?

As Chris pointed out, 'lib/python/ZODB/fsrecover.py' is the most
likely way to fix this.

  $ cd $ZOPE_HOME/lib/python
  $ python ZODB/fsrecover.py $INSTANCE_HOME/var/Data.fs

Of course, you make a backup of the (presumably) corrupt file, first.

> Also, is this common?  I confess this makes me very nervous
> about relying on  Zope.  we've been using the ZWiki stuff pretty
> heavily, and this will givethe anti-OpenSource crowd some useful
> ammo.

Not common;  Chris noted one of the more likely causes (NFS
interfering with the storage's ability to perform reliable writes).

Tres.