[Zope] Zope and FastCGI installation

John VanDyk jvandyk@iastate.edu
Tue, 1 May 2001 13:23:47 -0500

I'm trying to enter the world of Zope.

I've got FreeBSD 4.3 running and I've installed the Apache port with
mod_fastcgi. The reason I'd like to use Apache is that I'll have some
large files (QuickTime movies) that I don't want to put into Zope. It
sounded to me from reading doc/WEBSERVER.txt that fastcgi was the
best way to go, as it permits Zope to run multithreaded and allows
Apache to handle static files. Please correct me if I'm wrong on this.

I've installed Zope 2.3.2 from source and it seems to have come up
OK. I've done the modifications listed in WEBSERVER.txt and I get the
message

2001-05-01T18:55:57 INFO(0) ZServer FastCGI Server (V1.0) started at
Tue May  1 13:55:57 2001
         IP          :
         Port        : None
         Socket path : /usr/local/www/Zope/fastcgisocket/fastcgi.soc

when Zope starts so it seems to be ready. But when I point my browser
at my.server.org/zope Apache tells me that "The server encountered an
internal error or misconfiguration" and Apache's error log elaborates:

[Tue May  1 14:17:01 2001] [error] [client 129.186.111.11] FastCGI:
invalid (dynamic) server "/usr/local/www/data/zope": script not found
or unable to stat()

I think I've pretty much followed the instructions to the letter, but
I must have missed something.

John