[Zope] Out of the Box = ZopeApplianceWorld

Jason Cunliffe jasonic@nomadicsltd.com
Wed, 2 May 2001 22:53:33 -0400

Hello

I am very interesting in gathering info on Web Appliances, and any network
savvy devices which could play well with Zope.

One example:

SitePlayer
http://www.siteplayer.com/
<quote>
SitePlayer, the World's smallest Ethernet web server. The first product in a
family of embedded web servers designed to enable any microprocessor-based
device to become web enabled easily and inexpensively.

In approximately one square inch, SitePlayer includes a web server, 10baseT
Ethernet controller, flash web page memory, graphical object processor, and
a serial device interface.

SitePlayer developer kit is $99.95.
SitePlayer modules are :
$49.95 in 1-9 QTY,
$19.95 in 100000-999,999 QTY
Includes software licensing fees. For high volume or surface mount
applications, SitePlayer chip sets are available.
</quote>

Going further, If there is interest I will set up a collborative Zope site
for posting news, reviews, brainstorming, & pursing scenarios and how-to
using embedded devices, media i/o, Zope design strategy for creative in- and
out-of-the-box Zope-based applications.

- Set-Top [Embedded] Box Zope
- Webphone Zope
- Embedded Zope
- Zope for Transport
- Medical Zope
- Zope for Artists
- Zope Web Mapping
- Zope for Schools
- Urban Zope
- Bodega Zope
- Zope for Restaurants
- ZopeCams
- LargeScreenZope
- Zope at the Airport[Train/Bus/FerryStation]
- etc

Instead of getting bogged down answering the question "What is Zope?", I
suggest "What can people do with Zope?". I am particularly interested in
public and community applications, including art and media related. There is
so much great Zope development work taking place, but the broader context of
web applications, why/how seems to have lost some spark. Wher do we go from
here..? I natturally want to play to Zope strengths: free, cross-platform,
TTW, openSource, etc. Discussing ideas will also bring out where Zope is
lacking or ill-suited.

..interested?

- JASON
Jason CUNLIFFE = NOMADICS['Interactive Art and Technology']