[Zope] Announce - Audio Product

Bill Anderson bill@libc.org
02 May 2001 20:44:46 -0600

On 02 May 2001 21:35:00 -0400, marc lindahl wrote:
> Well, someone would have to convince me that's a good idea.  So far, I think
> ZODB is the place to keep 'em.

o Well, consider the effect on the ZODB.

o Some people are still (dare i say many?) running on a system that has
a 2Gb limit on filesize.

o A large ZODB _can_ cause problems when you need it back it up, or
restore it

o Consider the problems involved with a large ZODB when starting up and
shutting down
   I have an N-Class HPUX beastie that has a 362+MB ZODb, it refuses to
pack, and takes a while to start up.
   Memory is not an issue, believe me, I have several gigs of that
untouched yet. yet it still takes an unacceptable
   amountof time to strart up.

o Consider the problem of someone uploading a diferent (perhaps improved
mp3)  file. Now, until you pack past this change,
   you have _two_ copies of the data. Actually, I believe that even if
only some metadata is changed, you get another copy.
   This.   Gets.   Ugly.   Fast.

o Consider the ZSP that would much rather have the data stored in the FS
where they can keep better track of it (and
   use quotas perhaps)

o Consider the possibility of having the file sitting on the OS's file
system, available for outbound-ftp through
   non-zope means, or local system use (for. those who would use it on
their local machine as an MP3 organizer)
   or for an audio-streamer program, such as icecast or shoutcast, to
stream them out

Just some things to consider. ;^)~

Bill