[Zope] Making users work

Malcolm Box malcolm.box@symbian.com
Thu, 03 May 2001 14:50:11 +0900

--------------AC13910733BB72F11FA8568A

Jens,

Thanks for the pointer to the userfolders.

I have already looked at these,  but my questions is perhaps a level higher (or my
understanding a level lower).  Given a userfolder installed, I don't see how to link
up my site to it, so that only posting is restricted and the authentication is via a
webform rather than the default HTTP authentication.

Any pointers/DTML-snippets in those areas welcome.

Regards,

Malcolm

Jens Vagelpohl wrote:

> malcolm,
>
> there are user folders that can talk to windoze, you might want to look at
> this product:
>
> http://www.zope.org/Members/jephte/jcNTUserFolder
>
> ...or use the User management download section to browse all available user
> folder combinations at:
>
> http://www.zope.org/Products/user_management
>
> jens
>
> On 5/2/01 1:43, "Malcolm Box" <malcolm.box@symbian.com> wrote:
>
> > Hi all,
> >
> > As a Zope newbie (sorry!), I'm deeply confused by how to make users work
> > the way I want.
> >
> > The site I am developing is an "ideas" site, where people can vote on
> > ideas and post new ideas.  What I want to achieve is that everyone can
> > access the content or vote anonymously, but to post they have to log
> > in.  As this is an intranet site, the WinNT domain controller already
> > has a list of every possible user and a password, so I want to use this
> > to authenticate who people are, and I certainly don't want to have to
> > create and maintain a Zope user for each and every person in the
> > organization!
> >
> > When people try to post without logging in, I want to send them to a
> > page explaining the login requirements and giving them a login form,
> > rather than popping up a http authenticate dialog.
> >
> > To say that I have no clue how to go about this is an understatement.  I
> > think there are three parts to this - one is the login form, the other
> > is setting the right permissions on the posting form and the third is
> > accessing the NT user database.  I've looked at LoginManager, acl_users
> > and various howtos, but I can't work out how to put it all together,
> > despite my feeling that it's all there somewhere :-)
> >
> > So could anyone outline how to go about this - pointers to dtml source,
> > howtos etc gratefully received.
> >
> > Cheers,
> >
> > Malcolm
> >
> > --

> > Symbian Ltd is a company registered in England and Wales with registered
> > number 01796587 and registered office at 19 Harcourt Street, London, W1H 4HF,
> > UK.
> > This message is intended only for use by the named addressee and may contain
> > privileged and/or confidential information. If you are not the named addressee
> > you should not disseminate, copy or take any action in reliance on it. If you
> > have received this message in error please notify postmaster@symbian.com and
> > delete the message and any attachments accompanying it immediately. Symbian
> > does not accept liability for any corruption, interception, amendment,
> > tampering or viruses occurring to this message in transit or for any message
> > sent by its employees which is not in compliance with Symbian corporate
> > policy.

--------------AC13910733BB72F11FA8568A

begin:vcard
n:Box;Malcolm
tel;fax:+81 3 5425 2572
tel;work:+81 3 5425 2954
x-mozilla-html:FALSE
url:http://www.symbian.com
org:Symbian KK;Research
version:2.1
email;internet:malcolm.box@symbian.com
title:Head of Research, Japan
adr;quoted-printable:;;Shimbashi Sumitomo Bldg. 11F=0D=0A5-11-3 Shimbashi=0D=0AMinato-ku;Tokyo;;105-0004;Japan
fn:Malcolm Box
end:vcard

--------------AC13910733BB72F11FA8568A--