[Zope] [ANN] zshell: The Zope Shell

Tino Wildenhain tino@wildenhain.de
Thu, 03 May 2001 15:18:03 +0200

--On Donnerstag, 3. Mai 2001 08:18 -0400 Jason Cunliffe
<jasonic@nomadicsltd.com> wrote:
Hi,

> Now playing with your new shell really makes me wonder serisouly about
> Zope interpreter. One can use python to but not at the same time as Zope
> is running. So I gguess the reick woudl be to harness the two ideas.

Not? You mean not with the ZODB, if its in use by the current zope.
Sure. But for this we have ZEO.

... snip ...

> It is very boring to click on all those 'OK' buttons and watch the HTML
> screen keep redrawing. Sitting with potential clients for Zopesites really
> brings this home, I notice that what one really wants to do is take a few
> lines of compact code and immediately generate the named folders with
> simple properties, and dummy dethods/documents etc. Saves lots of Time
> add and very useful templating and Zope design asset.

The problem is, zope is currently very web-centric. We badly
need an abstraction layer for all the things products and
the management interface in general want to interact with
the user. Then this interface can be mapped to HTTP/HTML
HTTP/WML or even stand-alone GUIs (wxWindows as example)
All could talk to the very same application.
This counts also for the XML-Stuff.

Regards
Tino