[Zope] Zope runs very slowly

Roch'e Compaan roche@upfrontsystems.co.za
Sun, 6 May 2001 14:19:12 +0200

I compiled Zope 2-3-0 from source on a Pentium II 266 MHz with 128 MB RAM=
 on
Redhat 6.2 and it runs very slowly.  When I say slow I mean it takes
approximately 3 minutes to start up and 5 seconds per request.  I'll give=
bit more background since I don't think this is a Zope problem per se.

This is not a first Zope install - on our public server I frequently comp=
ile
Zope from source and it flies.  On this particular server almost everythi=
ng
was compiled from scratch (kernel, apache, python, etc) with aggresive
optimization turned on.  All the software installed is really running
smoothly except for Zope.  I then recompiled python with no optimization =
but
still Zope was crawling.  It took me quite a while to build the server th=
us
far and  it took a lot of effort securing and optimizing it but at the
moment I really don't have a clue where to start looking for the problem.
What is funny is that other python-built software like mailman is running=
 up
to speed but mailman is not multi-threaded or nearly as complex as Zope.

It seems to me that accessing the Data.fs file is problematic, because th=
harddrive just seems too busy compared to other Zope installations we've
made.  The load on the CPU seems normal.

Any pointers would really be appreciated.
Roch=E9