[Zope] ZServer Must Be Continually Re-Started: my Method to stop zope dead:

Chris Withers chrisw@nipltd.com
Fri, 11 May 2001 10:44:43 +0100

Gilles Lavaux wrote:

> I am personally thinking that ONE of the problem is that there is no
>   time-out on the Zserver socket, I think that if for some reason a request
>   get stuck, the thread is never released. If you use all the thread pool,
>   your server doesn't reply anymore.

I'd second that...

> - eventualy (if I have some time) I will redo the same test using Zserver
>   with a timeout socket library to see if it act the same...

I'd be very interested to see the results :-)

> please understand that this is just a demonstration, I know that doing
>   infinite loop is silly. In real life, one blocking condition I saw(I am
>   almost sure of that, just almost) was the mailhost object: In case of
>   empty(or bad, I don't remember) mail recipient, the request was blocking
>   when it was doing the sendmail. This server was dying every few days.

That could be a problem with your mail server, ours just comes back straight
away and Zope raises an error.

> have someone a solution?

I hope so, that could be what's causing our server to hang since the system
involved can have some very logn running methods...

cheers,

Chris

ChrisM: I cc'ed you on this because I have a hunch that it's something along
these lines that's causing the hangs I mentioned on zope-dev.
That said, would the python process usage drop down to nothing in the above
scenario?