[Zope] [OT] subject headings/clarification

Bill Anderson bill@libc.org
11 May 2001 22:20:12 -0600

On 11 May 2001 13:36:34 -0700, Andy McKay wrote:
> I really dont see the problem:
>
> Advantage:
> - simple clear which list you are talking about.
> - filters people who reply directly to you rather than to the list (useful)

 This is far from limited to adding a non-conmformant header munging
activity. Filtering ont he To/mailinst List headers will do _exactly_
the same thing, and those are there by nature. Adding the [foo] list
identifier is redundant any way you look at it. As it is redundant, it
is therefore unnecesary. Whether you or I like it or not, that is a
fact.

> Disadvantage:
> - 6 extra characters in the subject line
>
> What am I missing?

The other lists? ;^)

 Evolution/Elm/Pine/procmail/mutt/netscape/Oulook Express/Outlook make
it simple to set up filtering on the "To:" header. I'd wager that these
clients/users account for more than '1%' of the Zope list users as some
have tossed around. Some, such as Evolution, and I'd wager Outlook, can
do it _automatically_ by selecting an option. No Knowledge Required.

 Of course, some people don't give a rats behind about standards, but
then again, those same people shouldn't then complain about other
people/companies violating standards. ;)

 I supose that we could make a Zope product to change the title of
objects to include some sorting qualifier ... ;^)= Same principle.

 While I fully understand people not wanting to change their filters, it
smacks of "well it has always been done this way, must be good let's not
change it." And that sentiment doesn't sit well with me.

 But oh well, judging by previous polls, not many would participate,
which would leave us with looking at the archives. There are more people
complaining about the current setup than there are peole defending it
(with any reasoning other than whining).

 Personally, I filter on the To and when available, the mailing list
headers. As such, mail send directly to me stays in my inbox, and mail
sent to the list goes to the list folder. By doing this, each list is in
it's own, isolated view, thus providing me with easy visual separation
of lists. In addition, it s easy to se email sent to me.

 This provides me with every single 'advantage' you listed, thus, from
that standpoint, the subject munging provides none of your advantages
(an advantage would mean the other method(s) do _not_ provide that
capability), and still leaves us with your stated disadvantage. ;^)

Bill