A reply to myself (Re: [Zope] SPAM! (was Zope Survey))

ethan mindlace fremen mindlace@digicool.com
Fri, 18 May 2001 14:12:47 -0400

--On Friday, May 18, 2001 14:07:47 +0100 Chris Withers <chrisw@nipltd.com>
wrote:
> 1. I _would_ like to know where DC got those email addresses from, and
> why they chose to email that group of people. (the first part of which I
> think I'm entitled to under the UK's Data Protection Act)

Hi, chris. As this part was pretty much me, I can answer it:  I used a
script to loop through the publicly availiable archives and build a list of
people who had sent mail to the zope lists.  There was (i think) some
culling past that point, but I know that my script wasn't that bright, so
we probably sent out some emails where I could have caught the redundancy.

As far as I know, the reasons we sent the email out as a batch as opposed
to posting to the lists are:

 o unique key per survey-
   ballot-box stuffing issue.

 o greater statistical validity-
   the response rate and self selection is less biased.

 o catch users that have sense unsubbed-
   surely we need to ask these people how to improve zope :)

spam-spam-spam-spam-bacon-and-spam-ly yours,
--
ethan mindlace fremen
zopatista community liason