[Zope] why can zope not handle large files

Joachim Werner joe@iuveno-net.de
Sun, 20 May 2001 00:59:31 +0200

> the transaction.  If we split the 37MB file up into small 3-4MB
> chunks, everything works fine.  But it just can't handle the larger
> file.  To me, 37MB doesn't seem like much.  If it were .5GB, I could
> understand Zope having problems.  How can I get this to work?

I tested uploading files of  up to 100 MB (images, word documents etc.)
without problems. They are also served properly by ZServer. So it doesn't
seem to be a problem for Zope to handle the file upload/download itself. But
if you try to parse a 37 MB document at once, that might be a bit difficult.
How exactly are you doing it? There must be lots of ways to handle this,
e.g. from Python you could read the file row by row and commit batches of 10
or so to the database. Remember that Zope is not designed for parsing files
of that size. Usually, there is no way a DTML page could be that big.

Joachim