[Zope] [ANN] ZShell 1.0pre1

Jerome Alet alet@unice.fr
Mon, 21 May 2001 13:23:20 +0200 (MET DST)

Hi,

I'm pleased to announce the availability of ZShell 1.0pre1.

ZShell is an external Zope method which allows you to
manipulate the ZODB using standard unix shell's commands
from within Zope's Management Interface in your web
browser.

You can download it from:

	http://cortex.unice.fr/~jerome/zshell/

This is a preversion of 1.0 which I'll publish in a week or two, but I
would want to receive lots of feedback from people who use ZShell with
SiteRoots, VirtualHostMonsters and all this sort of things.

Such setups seem to make ZShell display incorrect urls and objects'
paths, so the more feedback I receive the on this subject, the less buggy
it will be in 1.0 final. Please send me reports which include your
current configuration and "works" or "doesn't work", and of course feel
free to send patches.

New features are:
=================

- The call command works again.
- The wget command works again.
- The passwd command now works.
- The domains command now works.
- The roles command now works.
- The lrole command was renamed to lroles to be more
  consistent with the roles command.
- The lsusers command now lists both roles and local
  roles.
- The lsuser command was renamed to lsusers to be more
  consistent with the rest.
- The cd command now displays the current directory
  correctly when an error occurs.
- Security checks are now done for all commands.
- DocStrings fixes.
- Urls should now be OK with SiteRoots and
  Apache ProxyPass/ProxyReverse, but this needs
  heavy testing by someone who has got this sort of
  setup.

The fact that all commands now do security checks may be of
particular interest to those of you who were afraid of giving
ZShell access to people: you should now be able to do it (carefully)

1.0 final will include:
=======================

	addrole		(add a user defined role)
	setperms	(set permissions)
	lsperms		(list permissions)
	locate 		(search in ZCatalog)
	history		(history of commands)
	suckfs		(suck filesystems and put them into ZODB)

	the mv command will allow renaming.
	the mv and cp commands will accept paths in source arguments.

TODO list for post 1.0:
=======================

        - Make most commands recognize options, the most useful
          options would certainely be:

                        --recurse and --maxdepth
                        --hasperms=
                        --type=
                        --mtime=
                        --mmin=
                        --owner=
        - Piping between commands.

Feel free to send any wish, comment, bug report, patch, etc...

Thanks in advance.

Jerome Alet - alet@unice.fr - http://cortex.unice.fr/~jerome
Fac de Medecine de Nice        http://wwwmed.unice.fr
Tel: (+33) 4 93 37 76 30     Fax: (+33) 4 93 53 15 15
28 Avenue de Valombrose - 06107 NICE Cedex 2 - FRANCE