[Zope] Q: Verifying the poll numbers

Dan L. Pierson dan@control.com
Mon, 21 May 2001 13:37:05 -0400

--On Monday, May 21, 2001 12:58:49 PM +0100 Tony McDonald
<tony.mcdonald@ncl.ac.uk> wrote:

> Well, if you look at the other choices;
>
> More kick ass RDMS adapters     - more or less covered
> Storage abstraction layer       - deep voodoo, not many folks will
> understand this one
> An IDE (Zope Studio)            -
> Easier installation of Zope and products    - happens quite rarely
> Conversion of more data types   - seems like another db issue
> Nothing, its perfect            - :)
>
> Not that I'm slagging Andy off - it's a *good* thing to solicit feedback,
> just that out of those choices, most people are going to go for the
> 'eye-candy' option.

I agree.  An IDE, especially with integrated multithread debugging, would
be a good thing
and worth paying for.  It's my first choice OF THE OPTIONS GIVEN.  It's not
close to
my first choice overall.

For one example: "Better Zope monitoring support" would be much more
important to us
than any of the listed options.  I'll be that everyone fighting with
hanging Zopes
would agree with us.

>> Wow.  Let's try a different tack.  Pretend there was a for-free Zope
>> Studio and a for-fee Zope Studio.  Let's say the difference was either
>> like ActiveState's difference (personal use vs. professional use), or
>> say the difference was in "Professional" capabilities.
>>
>> Does anyone think there would be any moderate-sized market for a for-fee
>> version?  How many of you would pay a few hundred bucks for a
>> high-quality dev/authoring/admin environment for Zope?

We would buy several copies if it ran well on Linux, especially if it had
decent
debugging support in a live multithreaded environment.  For the record, I
did
buy three copies of the Wing IDE, but haven't looked again at Komodo (the
Zope
stuff didn't work on Linux at the Python conference and it didn't seem very
fast).

> One thing for me - it *must* be cross-platform. One reason I'm so into
> Zope is the non-M$oft flavour of it all, I can use it from my Mac
> runnning MacOS X (and *run* Zope on it), on PCs in our department, or
> most other things we come across as long as they run a browser.

Agreed.  I will use a PC, but not Windows anything.  However, our editors
and content people run Windows and would be uninterested in a Linux only
solution.

Dan Pierson
Control.com, Inc.