[Zope] Amanda to backup ZOPE remotely

Flynt rhess@bic.ch
Tue, 22 May 2001 11:05:47 +0200

Marcus Schopen wrote:

> Hi there,
>
> is it a good idea to use Amanda to backup ZOPE's physical home directory
> (/home/zope) while ZOPE is active? Is it critical because of changing data.fs
> and logfiles while Amanda is trying to do its job?
>
> Now I use rync (http://www.zope.org/Members/jrush/howto_rsync_zope).
>
> Thank you
> Marcus

Hi Marcus

Actually we do use Amanda for Backup. And actually I did also already
had to play back a Data.fs after I had wreckaged a Zope installation.
All without any problem.

Most probably the backup was taken, when Data.fs was not changed at this
very moment; so you might say, okay, that's just luck.

But, first, Amanda tell's you in the log you get emailed, if ever a file
changes during the backup action, and second, Zope appends transactions
to the Data.fs. In case you have to handle a corrupt Data.fs, there is a
product called *tranalyzer* with which you should be able to truncate
the Data.fs in the right way, so that you loose maybe one transaction
but not more (however, I didn't test this myself yet).

Have a look at:

http://www.zope.org/Members/itamar/CorruptedZODB
http://www.zope.org/Members/tsarna/Tranalyzer

HTH