[Zope] RE: Vote for Windowing Toolkit to use for Fat Client

Simon Coles simon@nipltd.com
Tue, 22 May 2001 22:13:31 +0100

Regarding Mac support for wxWindows, this is a concern for me as NIP's
token Mac user (and hence the other NIP'ers working on this - Chris and
Andy) :-).

You can run X Windows apps under MacOS X, either with the free XonX package
or Tenon's XTools. I suspect this means we'll be able to run wxWindows for
X Windows under MacOS X. I'll try this when I have time.

Running the X Window version doesn't solve the problem for pre-MacOS X
people, but then again they can't run Zope either, so I don't think that's
too much of a problem.

If I can't get wxWindows running under MacOS X, we'll just have to come up
with something based on Cocoa.... then you'll all be sorry! (evil laugh).

(the running joke at NIP is we're trying to ease Chris W. off his
unfortunate addiction to Windows - MacOS X may be a more comfortable
upgrade for him than Linux, if only because hardware looks cool).

Simon

--On Tuesday, May 22, 2001 11:33 am -0400 Jason Cunliffe
<jasonic@nomadicsltd.com> wrote:
[snip]
> MAC ?
> By only concern about wxPython vs. TKinter is lack of Macintosh support...
> Does anyone here have Mac wxPython experience?
>
> It would be a real shame if Macs could not be consistently supported by
> the IDE. I think it is possible to have wxWindows/ wxPython running on
> Macs, but my impression is that Mac support is out of sync, and lagging
> behind. EPople are working it. How hard I don't know.. MacOSX will no
> doubt improve this dilemma. Compatibility really needs to be checked out.
>
> An older [January 2000] Mac Port by Stefan Csomor is
> http://www.advanced.ch/wxwin/
> There are newer 'unstable 'versions moved to Sourceforge..
[snip]

--------- My opinions are my own, NIP's opinions are theirs ----------
Simon J. Coles                                 Email: simon@nipltd.com
New Information Paradigms                  Work Phone: +44 1344 753703
http://www.nipltd.com/                     Work Fax:   +44 1344 772510
=============== Life is too precious to take seriously ===============