[Zope] [FEATURE REQUEST] comment at the top of DTML Methods and Documents

Michel Pelletier michel@digicool.com
Thu, 24 May 2001 14:08:30 -0700 (PDT)

On Thu, 24 May 2001, Jerome Alet wrote:

> think about Python Scripts: when you edit them the comment are not there,
> but if you want to download the source, the comments are there AND USEFUL.

but also syntactically correct and meaningful to python.  I can see
extending this into:

<dtml-comment>
Meta-Type: DTML Document
Property X: Foo
</dtml-comment>

at the beginning but that's rather baroque and akward.  Also, this would
just work for DTML content, what about future formats? Page templates?
Perl scripts?  Sounds like we would need to reproduce this mechanism for
every language out there, and what happens when you have content that does
*not* have an explicit comment syntax, like structured text?  You'd have
to invent one, or wedge an existing one (like # python style
comments) into a format that wasn't intended to handle it.

-Michel