[Zope] Prerequisites for a desktop IDE, or any desktop app w/ Zope

Thu, 24 May 2001 15:58:29 -0700

Keep it simple; I don't think a non-python and/or non-free solution would
mesh well enough for new users of Zope, supposing that all of the sudden, it
became a popular tool for GUI-based enterprise applications.

Uh, if you are going to create a framework of python classes to do UI stuff,
why base it on a foundation of Kylix?  Its not true x-platform at all and
even if you used it to create a "free" (whatever that means) toolkit you
just add library bloat by having to support toolkits on top of toolkits on
top of toolkits, none of which are free.

I love Python enough to not want to move away from coding in it, even for a
GUI app.  I want Borland-style RAD to do this, but I'm willing to wait until
I get it free, and in Python (i.e. Boa-Constructor).  In the meantime, I can
code in wxPython, and have nice looking apps with themed GTK widgets
displayed under X, and expect that all this will run on Win32 as well - all
at no cost to me as a developer (money doesn't grow on trees, for me at
least) and no cost to users as well.

I'm not sure if I understand what you mean by an application as a toolkit?
That doesn't make sense to me: function libraries are toolkits; class
libraries are toolkits.  Running all this within an app sounds like the
functional equivalent of running GW basic code under DOS on a 8086: you are
forced to run apps inside an interpreter, there is no runtime, and this is
not transparent to the user.  Why force this kind of complication?  To
produce an IDE that won't create standalone applications, let alone ones
that use simple, freely available toolkits?

FYI, Inprise EULAs forbid creating competing products; for example, during
the days when Borland marketed Paradox, they explitly forbit Delphi
developers from using the BDE to create general-purpose database app
workalikes to Borland products.

Anyway, this is making the problem more complex than it needs to be; the
only value Kylix has is as a RAD tool; it has no value for creating toolkits
for development without the closed RAD tool, so what's the point?

Sean